Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Daily Advice from a Band Director

 
 
 


Alright. I see this quote often, especially on Pinterest. I even hear it like, once a week or so from my band director. Lately, I've been telling this to myself. I went to about a month where everything was just so frustrating to me, especially the little things. This quote made everything a little easier. It sort of put everything into a perspective.

If you google this quote you'll probably get a few names of whomever said this. For me, it will always be my band director. When I read it, I read it in his voice.

Let's just think about this. Life. Your life. The life you are living right now. Is only 10%. TEN PERCENT! What happens to you.

The other 90%? Is your own reaction. Not your friend's or your neighbor's. Just yours. You control 90% of your life.

That's crazy!

I think everyone is guilty of getting caught up in the moment and freaking out over something that, in the long run, doesn't matter. As I go on this adventure into adulthood (yikes!) it's a lot of learning about when I should and shouldn't fuss over things. There are always going to be things that are out of my control. I have a hard time realizing sometimes that I can't control those situations. Nor can I control what others do. Event though sometimes I may want to.

But what can I control? Myself. I have full control over EVERYTHING that I do and say. And that, is powerful.

I have more control over more than I realize. And what do I do? I let the things I can't change and control get to me. Which in turn affects how I react. I let what happens to me control how I act. That's not a fun way to live.

It's going to take some work. But my goal by the end of the semester is to realize and focus my energy into how I react to things. I want to control myself. I don't want the situation or other to control me.

There will be more to come relating to this advice. There will also be a post in the near future about Western Thunder, I'm sure.



But for now, so long.
Go pokes.

And remember, You control more than you realize.


No comments:

Post a Comment